Monday, September 28, 2009

Off to Iona

Tomorrow morning I will depart for a remarkable journey to the island of Iona off the west coast of Scotland where I will join a small group of women for reflection and retreat. It is a physical journey that has many parts: planes, trains, ferries and buses will all be required to get me from here to there.

We will be met at the jetty by our loving friends, coming together from Canada and the U.K. and the U.S. I know there will be laughter and meals and circle conversation into the night around the candles on the altar. 'Altaring the world', my friend Clare Peterson calls our years of gathering around so many such sacred centers.

And then the real traveling begins. Walking and listening -- to the wind and the waves and the quiet inner voices. Stillness amid the elements and the rocks. Wisdom arising in the flickering light of the flames.

I am ready.

No comments: